Beekman Junior Golf Academy
The Academy welcomes players of all levels, from beginner and leisure golfer, to the athlete who aspires to compete. Our programs are designed to provide an opportunity for each student to learn and be challenged to develop their skills.
Glen Walden the Director of Instruction at Beekman Golf Course specializes in youth golf coaching, he is a Certified PGA Member, US Kids Golf Certified Instructor, and a Positive Coaching Alliance Certified Coach. Glen has 20 years experience coaching youth golf and does so with passion and enthusiasm creating positive life experiences and lessons for children.
The Beekman Junior Golf Academy creates a positive learning environment offering constant encouragement in order to achieve their fullest potential and enjoyment of the game.
The Beekman Junior Golf Academy Offers:
- All Year Junior Golf Programs
- Weekly Summer Camp Programs
- PGA Junior League
- Summer Teen League
- Drive, Chip, Putt Championship Clinics
- Us Kids Golf Junior Tournament
- Monthly Family Tournaments
- Beekman Junior Member Tournaments
Early Birdies -- Four and Five year olds will learn the game of golf through many fun activities and games that encourage movement, cognitive thinking, and socialization development for children to grow emotionally as well as physically.
Juniors -- Six to Ten year olds have the opportunity to develop proper fundamentals of grip, aim, stance, develop valuable skills in distance control for putting and chipping. Playing on the course will provide each student with ex
PGA Sports Academy
The PGA Sports Academy has been implemented into all of our junior development programs. The PGA offers expertise knowledge, guidelines and research on how to develop an athlete in golf.
The PGA Sports Academy program is a collaborative framework based on research and best practices from PGA Professionals, PGA Education, allied associations and the Long Term Athlete Development ( LTAD) standards for juniors adopted by the PGA World Alliance. The PGA Sports Academy’s focus is to develop core golfers and provide them with pathways to continue to play golf socially or competitively based on each individual’s desire. It is imperative that every parent/participant understands the process of LTAD in the PGA Sports Academy program so that they have a clear understanding of what the PGA Professional is trying to accomplish with each participant.
The PGA Sports Academy curriculum includes:
- Sportsmanship, Rules and Etiquette
- Golf Skills
- Fitness and Nutrition
- Golf and "Near Golf" Experiences
- Golf and Physical Assessments
Watch the PGA Sports Academy videos which will provide insight on how to use the PGA Sports Academy in fun, creative ways.
The seven stages in the Long Term Athletic Development model:
1. Active Start (ages 0-6)—Primary movement development. Cross-crawl patterns of movement and development. Main focus is keeping active, rolling, crawling, walking, climbing, playground activities.
2. FUNdamentals (ages 6-9)— Focus on gross motor movements, walking, running, hopping, skipping, jumping, kicking, throwing, catching, striking, skating, skiing, learning by discovery. Speed window, athletic movements, general overall development, locomotion, stability, manipulation, awareness.
3. Learning to Train (ages 9-12)—Skill development, transition from fundamental movement skills to fundamental sport skills, participation in multiple sports, patterns of movement, 80 percent training, 20 percent competition.
4. Training to Train (ages 11-16)—Speed window, major fitness development stage.
5. Training to Compete (ages 15-18)—Sport-specific training, continued fitness development, increased number of competitions.
6. Training to Win (ages 18+)—Focus on high performance, year-round training, plan for peaking.
7. Active for Life—Better opportunity if physical literacy is achieved before age 15.
US KIDS GOLF Top 50 Coach
Honorable Mention 2016, 2017,2018